No Passport – Can Travel?

Posted by Badmus & Associates | Jun 21, 2013 | 0 Comments

Here's the immigration question of the week we received from a client.

Q. My friend who has a green card (lawful permanent residence) is traveling outside of the country and has lost his passport. Can he re-enter the U.S. without his passport?

A. Permanent residents of the U.S. do not need a passport to enter the United States after international travel (see 8 C.F.R. 211.1(a)). They can present their green card alone to the Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officer at the airport and be admitted to the U.S. However, the airlines may require a valid passport for international travel so all travelers without passports should check with their airline before travel.

Submit your question of the week – email us at [email protected].

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Contact Us Today

Reach out to us today and get the right advice and the peace of mind that comes with the knowledge that you have the best help available for your life-changing matter.