Kudos for Texan Immigrant Entrepreneurs
Without a doubt, Texan immigrant entrepreneurs are a driving force in the Lone Star State's economy. According to a recent Innovation and Entrepreneurship Fact Sheet from the American Immigration Council:
- From 2006 to 2010, there were 256,849 new immigrant business owners in Texas, and in 2010, 24.9 percent of all business owners in Texas were foreign-born. Furthermore, from 2007 to 2010, immigrants in Texas founded around 31.3 percent—almost one in three—of all new businesses in the state.
- In 2010, new immigrant business owners had total net business income of $10 billion, which is 16.7 percent of all net business income in the state.
- In 2010, of the Texas metro areas that are among the 25 largest U.S. metropolitan areas by total population, the foreign-born share of business owners was 25 percent in Dallas, 31 percent in Houston, and 25 percent in San Antonio. In each case, the immigrant business ownership rate was higher than the particular metro area's foreign-born share of total population.
These and other noteworthy contributions of our diverse Texan immigrant communities deserve recognition.
As our tribute to notable immigrants in North Texas, Cowles & Thompson, P.C. presents the Immigrant Journey Awards and seeks nominations for the following categories:
- Immigrant Entrepreneur Award – Honoring an immigrant business owner who has founded a highly successful business in North Texas and who serves as a model and inspiration of success.
- Immigrant Professional Excellence Award – Honoring an immigrant in North Texas who has demonstrated significant professional achievements in their field and whose advancements in their field have positively impacted their profession or community.
- Immigrant Spirit Award – Honoring a North Texas immigrant civic leader or elected official who has contributed substantially to the community or the region.
- Immigrant Advocate Award – Honoring an individual, business, government or community entity, or non-profit organization that has made a positive impact on the lives of immigrants, and advocates on behalf of immigrants in North Texas.
Award winners will be announced at the Immigrant Journey Awards luncheon on Friday, June 12, 2015 at the Prestonwood Country Club, Dallas. Proceeds from the luncheon will fund the American Dream Scholarships for three exceptional North Texas high school seniors.
The deadline to submit your nominations is Friday, April 24, 2015.
To submit your nomination or learn more, visit this our event website.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment