How Can I Get My Family To the U.S. Faster?

Posted by Badmus & Associates | Oct 15, 2007 | 0 Comments

Spouses and children of U.S. Citizens have the option of filing what are called K-3 and K-4 nonimmigrant visas in order to complete their processing for legal permanent residency in the United States. One of the principal benefits K-3 and K-4 visas are that immediate families will be unified several months faster than if they were pursuing a typical immediate relative immigrant petition.

K-3 Visas

To be eligible for a K-3 visa, the applicant must meet the following requirements:

Be the spouse of a U.S. Citizen;

Have a pending relative petition, and file Form I-130 with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS);

Intend to enter the U.S. to await completion of the permanent residency process; and

Have an approved Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). This form is forwarded by USCIS to the U.S. consulate where the spouse will apply for the visa. The consulate specified on the Form I-129F must be either:

  • The consulate in the country where the marriage occurred, if the marriage occurred outside the United States.
  • The consulate with jurisdiction over the current residence of the alien spouse, if the marriage occurred in the U.S.

K-4 Visas

K-4 non-immigrants are derivative beneficiaries of the K-3 nonimmigrant. Normally, this would mean the spouse's children. To be eligible for a K-4 visa, the applicant must be:

  • Unmarried;
  • Under 21 years of age; and
  • The child of the principal K-3 visa applicant or holder.
  • Separate Form I-130s and I-129Fs are not required for the K-4 applicant. However, in order to ensure there are no problems during the adjustment process, it is recommended that the children's I-130 be filed with the parent's I-130.

A U.S. Citizen attempting to get a I-3 visa for a spouse and/or a K-4 visa for child(ren) must submit Form I-130 to the USCIS Service Center with jurisdiction over the citizen's place of residence in the United States. Once the Service Center has received Form I-130, the citizen will receive a copy of Form I-797, Notice of Action, acknowledging receipt of Form I-130 by the USCIS. Finally, the citizen must file form I-129F, accompanied by a copy of the I-130 receipt notice with USCIS.

Obtaining the K Visa and traveling to the United States does not complete the permanent residency application process. Upon entering the United States, each K-3/K-4 nonimmigrant must file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status with USCIS. This application can only be submitted after the spouse's Form I-130 has been approved. If Form I-130 has not already been completed for each of the K-4 children, the children must file a Form I-130 with their Form I-485.

K-3 and K-4 visas are no longer valid 30 days after the following:

  • Denial of the I-130;
  • Denial of Adjustment of Status;
  • A final divorce of the marriage;
  • A K-4 nonimmigrant turning 21 years old or marrying;
  • Approval of permanent residence for the K-3; or
  • The expiration of two years without a request for an extension of stay.

By Michelle Richart

About the Author


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Contact Us Today

Reach out to us today and get the right advice and the peace of mind that comes with the knowledge that you have the best help available for your life-changing matter.