By Jan. 22, 2017, employers must use only the new version of the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verifcation, dated 11/14/2016. Until then, they can continue to use the version dated 03/08/2013 or the new version.
What are the changes to the form?
- Section 1 of the form asks for “other last names used”rather than “other names used.”
- Certification for certain foreign nations is streamlined.
- The addition of prompts to ensure information is entered correctly.
- The ability to enter multiple preparers and translators.
- A dedicated area for including additional information rather than having to add it in the margins.
- A supplemental page for the preparer/translator.
The instructions have been separated from the form, in line with other USCIS forms, and include specific instructions for completing each field.
The revised Form I-9 is also easier to complete on a computer. Enhancements include drop-down lists and calendars for filling in dates, on-screen instructions for each field, easy access to the full instructions, and an option to clear the form and start over. When the employer prints the completed form, a quick response (QR) code is automatically generated, which can be read by most QR readers.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment